Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My six-year-old cut her hair this morning because "it was blinding me!!!" The hair on the top right portion of her scalp is now of varying lengths, from "shaved" to about an inch.

I asked her why she didn't just brush it instead, and she yelled, "I HATE brushing my hair!!" My husband started to chuckle. This made me chuckle. DD did not chuckle. She looked angry. I stroked what was left of her hair and told her that I loved her. As I left the room, I heard DH saying that perhaps she could "try a short haircut; would you like that?" She did not like that. DH ventured that maybe we could "even it out."

I thought that, no, that option would result in a punk-rocker-skinhead look. This is fine if you're old enough to pay for your own haircut, but the style would be somehow incongruous, I think, on a six-year-old girl who favors Hello Kitty shirts.

I didn't verbalize these thoughts, though. DD had already displayed that "OhNo-I-am-realizing-that-I-just-made-a-major-mistake" look that can foretell a major breakdown if things are handled the wrong way. We didn't need (more) tears at that moment.

And yet..."Hello Kitty goes skinhead." That I would like to see. I'm envisioning a bald kitty with manky torn ribbon hanging off her ear, and a liter bottle of hard cider clutched at her side. Plus a cigarette dangling from her mouth (with a touch of ash on the whiskers) for bad measure.

!!!

Val

grin

I see that you view such things with the same mental process that I do, then. whistle

Hopefully her hair will grow back quickly. BTDT. My DD has always hated having her hair brushed (or brushing it herself) as well.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OMG . I hope you are getting major photo documentation of her new 'do. I sure wish my mom had taken photos of the scalloped bangs I gave myself with the nail scissors at about the same age.

And yes, I too HATED brushing my hair. Actually, I still don't actually brush it very often, but I digress...

Eek! I can't believe it. Oh no...

Hide the suPer glue before she gets any ideas.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    lol, it happens..my older dd gave my younger dd a cut one time even showed me how she did it grrrr ....and I did it to myself when I was 3 or 4 cut my bangs to nothing and also used my brothers butchwax, my mom said it took weeks to get that stuff out, good news it grows back...

LOL! DD did this in K three days before picture day. Bangs cut right up to the scalp etc. When we went to hair dresser she thought he would "fix" it. Apparently she thought he could make it look the way it did before she cut it and one look in the mirror when he finished sent her crying hysterically under a chair. I will say - She never cut her hair again AND we have the school picture to "treasure" the moment.

D
    D
    Hello Kitty barrettes can camouflage the area;-)

Very cute. My son once butchered his hair with scissors, right down to the scalp. For us it was no big deal-- he just got a shaved head or mohawk that month.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Too funny! MY DD also got tired of having bangs once and cut them off at the scalp. I guess thats a pretty common solution at that age!

They do make nice big head bands and bandanas that work well in these situations.

My brother gave me a random butcher chop do when I was about 3, we were trying to hatch eggs from the fridge by putting them in a homemade nest under the bed (growing our own pets), he decided we needed feathers and my hair was the closest thing... Mom was not pleased.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I love that story!

I love all the stories in this thread.

I bought my daughter some loud flowery hair clips last night. They do indeed camouflage a lot (or, indeed, a little, if you get my meaning).

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM