Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 180 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    E
    E Mama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Hi,
    Does anyone have a child in Reno school district's school within a school program?
    Also,any suggestions for public schools for PG kids that allows them to work at their level,but be with same-age peers?
    Thanks!

Last edited by E Mama; 04/19/11 11:26 PM.
    Maybe you were looking for Davidson Academy of Nevada which is A FREE Public Day School for Profoundly Gifted Learners. This forum was created by the same establishment, but this forum is nationwide, actually I think this forum's international and the Davidson Academy is in Reno Nevada. This forum is for public gifted discussions not just related to the Academy.

http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/

Hope That Helps.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Welcome Emama,

I don't know about the Reno school district, but my hope is that other parent who have one child at Davidson Academy and another child in the Reno school district would have this info. Do we have an lurkers who live in Reno? If so, please send E Mama a private message.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E Mama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks for responding La Texian. Yes, I am familiar with the DA , but I am currently looking into Reno's "school within a school" program (it is in their public school district program for the top 99.5%).

Hi Grinity,
    Thanks for asking for me. I hope that someone from Reno may have a kid in that program. We are looking for a short bridge before DA.
    Thanks again!

Good luck E Mama! Hopefully the short bridge will be a very good bridge. The best way to guess is to spend time observing the classroom and the teacher. 20 minutes in the back of the room tell one quite a bit.

Keep us posted!
    Grinity

E
    E Mama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks Grinity! I appreciate your welcoming and friendly attitude!
    I will let you know about sws if we get accepted. Unfortunately, we are put on the bottom of the list regardless of test results because we are out of state (makes sense though).
    : )

Well, maybe 'anti-gifted' predjudice will roll in your favor and lots of the parents in front of you in line will never 'subject' their child to what we want so desperately!

As Mamma said: "Tis an ill wind that dis na blaw Some body good" ok, she didn't quite say it that way, and she isn't: (Ramsay, 1714) but I've always been fasinated by trends that to so many so much harm and yet end up helping those lucky few.

Hey E Mom. We live in Reno and are applying for the SWAS program. DS10s IQ test turned out to be 99.2% but acheivement tests show him to be at least 6 grades ahead. We've toured DA and both they and the psych who tested him encouraged us to apply but we want him to have a year of truely accelerated learning to see if he could hold his own at DA. SWAS has sent out letters of intent to potential candidates and should have orientation night soon. You sure have to jump thru a lot of hoops to apply for SWAS and it's difficult to get into, yet I've spoken with parents and kids in the program who whine about the pace and intensity. Very frustrating when you have a kid who is dying to get in! Also hoping the recent educational budget cuts in Washoe Co don't take a swipe at the program.

E
    E Mama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Hi M&Ms Mom I sent you a PM. If anyone else has experience with SWAS please feel free to PM me. Any info is greatly appreciated!

P
    P
    I live in Carson City, NV which is just South of Reno. I recently coordinated a meeting with the Washoe gifted coordinator (who is also the SWAS principal) and some administrators from our district because I am interested in the potential of bringing something like the SWAS to my son's school. We toured the SWAS at Hunsberger and I was impressed. When we entered the room, the students (3/4 grade) were conducting their own socratic seminar and after they were done, we had some discussion with them. Many of the students talked about what they liked about the program - mostly that they feel like the work fits them. The Washoe district is light years ahead of Carson City in terms of gifted thinking - maybe because they have to compete with DA on some level or maybe because they truly believe in meeting each child at his or her readiness level.

If you want more info generally about Nevada and/or any other impressions I may have had, please feel free to PM me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM