Thanks for the responses. He's only five and still in preschool, so they won't cover the expense. As for a portfolio, not much there since he's just learning to write. I could video tape him reading or doing math problems, but I'm not so sure it would be substantial enough. I could also shop around for achievement tests, but he had such a good rapport w/the psychologist who administered his IQ test.

We were informed during his kindergarten registration that the district does not have a gifted program at all. They have an accelerated program that doesn't kick in until the 6th grade. I don't know what they're going to do w/him while the rest of the class is learning how to count M&M's (not trying to be sarcastic or condescending, but as many on this forum know, that can be a real problem.)

I don't know, but I'm wondering if an achievement test is worth having just as further "evidence" (for lack of a better word) of him having a "special need" (anticipating that we might run into problems as we already have at his preschool)

Thanks.