Originally Posted by La Texican
Nice. As rare as that must be this would be impossible to find- do you suppose there are those among them there who can perform globally at that level? And is that high level you speak of theoretical ruminating or is there a job producing something that very few people in the end can be trained to do? I'm just being nosy, one of the reasons I love the net.

Oh, I don't know. I've probably known a LOT of PG people in my life due to exposure to physicists and mathematicians and such. I've known a few of them that can have multiple areas of specialty-- but that does seem to be what it is. I don't think that it lends itself to "global" learning, because it's sort of the other style at that point.

I also think those are two extremes and there is a lot of middle territory. I'm definitely a hybrid person. There are areas where I'm truly obsessively interested, and I tend to go on 'jags' where I learn everything there is to know about ______, but I'm also someone who is just plain interested in everything from politics to enology to animal husbandry to ancient stonemasonry...

Wow-- great links, mycupoftea! Thank you very much. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.