Hi Lori,

My DS6 was very simliar to yours in K. He's now 6 and at about a 4th grade level, including in EPGY math. We had similar math issues starting up. DS wants to do it all in his head and skip the usual process, and he's resistant to learning the "slow" way. Many gifted educators have told me that this is extremely common in these children because they see it differently than most kids do. (For younger ones, I've also been told that PG kids tend to hate manipulatives, b/c they see it in their mind vs in their hands, like most little kids need).

There seem to be some good PG math programs out there for the upper grades. I'm hoping a parent of older ones will step in here to help, since we're not there yet. We like EPGY, but I see a lot of rave reviews about The Art of Problem Solving classes, and I think there's another one that incorporates music. (Anyone?) With EPGY, my DS likes it because he doesn't have to write out the problems, so he can figure them out in his head however he wants. It also keeps from spiraling, which is very burdensome for these kids in the regular math curriculums.

I'm so sorry about his migraines. I am certainly not medically-trained, but I find the neuropsychologist's findings odd. When I get a migraine, I can barely make a pot of coffee, much less answer a math problem. I very much hope something can be done to alleviate that for him.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2