We are also in Fl, although further north than Orlando. Our district uses the Slosson screener and the individual test is the Reynolds (RIAS). Not sure if they use the same thing in central FL.

For our first they did the screen and based on the results of the screen they did the RIAS. I was flabbergasted by the results of the RIAS which were only slightly above average for verbal (for my highly verbal child) and higher than I would have dreamed for perceptual, so we did private testing a couple months later using WISC that validated the perceptual score, but also showed a verbal score comparable to the perceptual and more closely aligned with the child I thought I had, though I was still somewhat surprised by the high perceptual score.

For my second, with a big push from the classroom teacher and the gifted teacher (who had my first in class and knew my second from regular visits to school) they went right to the RIAS in early K. Those scores were much more even and closer to what I would have anticipated for my second child. As they were sufficient to provide access to the gifted program and I don't need a different test for any other purpose, I see no reason right now to do any additional testing to cross-check his RIAS scores.

Prissy