"Since the beginning of the year, he'd been telling me that everything was repetition and he couldn't stand all the waiting for everyone else to master the concepts. But at the same time he was bringing home math papers with tons of careless calculation errors or missing dollar signs, etc. His language arts essay questions got answers of maybe two sentences. I talked to the teacher and tried to get him to differentiate or accelerate DS further. I was told that when he gets A's on all of his work, then he could move up again. The teacher didn't seem to understand that DS was completely unengaged in school at that point and did not care to do what was necessary (in his mind busywork) to get the perfect scores the teacher was looking for (in DS's words "just because you don't do something, doesn't mean you can't do it")."

CFK-That is HUGE and amazing that you got in there with principal and fixed the problem. It pains me to read that because that type of attitude was the nail in my educational coffin. I don't know if you read my school horror story in a previous thread, but things may have been totally different for me if my parents had stepped in and did what you did for your son.

Truly Amazing!

Incog