I don't like in your area, but I did alter my childs birth cert to get him into school. Where I live, a child can only qualify for public school pre-k program if they are 4 years old and from a low-income family. I am not rich, but i am above the income guidlines. Also, my children are all advanced for their ages... I taught them all of the basics at home. So, I changed my child's birthdate on his birth cert from 2/18/06 to 2/18/05 so that he could go to pre-k last year. So, he is really 4, but has passed pre-k with flying colors and is now in Kindergarten at age 4. I have not been found out. I'm thinking that the worst thing that can happen is that the child be tested to see if they "should" be in the higher grade if you're found out. I look at the situation like "why should my child who is above average not be given the opportunity to excel because of some generalized age guideline?" But my suggestion to you is that you not only look at the academics that your child knows, make sure they are ready socially and devlopmentally before altering the certificate. But it will give your child a head start on education, it did for mine. Hope this helps.