I lifted this quote from another thread because it's a different topic:
Originally Posted by PoppaRex
I�ll give you one last thought to mull over. There was a period of time where I spent time with kids who were institutionalized as mentally ill. These kids were not all druggies or sociopaths. Some were kids from messed up homes with lousy parents. Some of them were absolutely brilliant and nearly all of them broke my heart. One thing that stuck with me was how even in such a dismal place (we are not as much out of the 1800�s as we may think) some of these kids still hung onto the hope of finishing school and making something out of themselves. They couldn�t deal with the day to day stresses, couldn�t understand what was happening, couldn�t make a decision for themselves yet they hung onto that ideal. I think part of me knows that mine and yours will end up OK and you and I really didn�t have it as bad as we like to portray. Yes, it�s my humble opinion that we owe it to ALL kids to build a system that allows them to reach their potential. I kind of like that thought.
As staff or as a patient PoppaRex? :p just kidding. Reading this post is really the main reason I signed up to this forum rather than continuing just to lurk. Those poor kids and all the homeless teenagers and shuffled around foster kids. Do you think there's something that we can do to advocate for EPGY or that other online one to set up a subsystem for them? Life's already pulled the rug out from under them, but every town has a library with free Internet access. This could actually make the world a better place in a meaningful way. There's no insurance liability for the school because the kids won't physically be there. It would give them a chance to fight for the future that was stolen from them. This issue is dear to my heart, so if you can think of a way we can help facilitate bringing this about let me know. Thanks.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar