Originally Posted by Taminy
You've hit one of the biggest problems right smack on the head. There is this odd idea that while most students are required to do their appropriate work whether it strikes their fancy or not, gifted children need only be "offered" the opportunity to do appropriate work. Seems rooted in some very tiresome stereotypes about gifted children. When gifted children are more uniformly required to do appropriate work *instead* of (rather than in addition to) inappropriate work, we will be in much better shape!

thanks Taminy - that would explain the giant headache I had at the time! I love those gifted kids who are just love to chew what ever the school hands them, but I don't happen to have one of them.

I think that schools still think that above level work is 'dangerous' to kids in some way, and are afraid to require it of kids who are above-level in their readiness. I also think that teachers are baffled by kids who aren't uniform across a particular subject, and yet in Language Arts that can be a breathtaking chiasm between reading level, discussion level, spelling level, penmanship level, and writing level. Maybe we need to develop robot children who can be programed to imitate children of various LOG and 2Eishness to send home to live with teachers-in-training?

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com