Originally Posted by PoppaRex
I have been chatting with a local teacher about what they call "Differentiated Instruction" ...but on some various websites describing the method, it sounds as if they really do try to allow kids of different abilities to progress more at their own speed. I am not sure if there's a limit to exacly how different a student can be and i suspect that teaching algebra while everyone else is learning multiplication might not be something they are expecting.

Poppa

Our local public school uses 'Differentiated Instruction' to explain why they can meet the needs of all students. But since they don't actually pretest to see what the learning needs of the various students might be, there is a tremendous problem with the expectation that they have no students with learning needs way above what the teachers are planning to teach.

My approach to schools is to plug my ears with cotton when they explain what their system is and why it works, and ask specific questions about hypothetical situations and do lots of observation. I've been told 'We do provide differentiation - but your child has never gone over to the 'extra work' area when he finishes his required work, so he must not be interested - it's his fault.'

And if the extra work offered is still years below his readiness level, being offered as an 'additive'instead of a substitute, and not actually having any teaching go along with it, is my son still going to be judged lazy because he doesn't do it?
((shruggs))
Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com