Originally Posted by lulu
Physically, neither were advanced, and the one judged HG today was a late walker, trike rider etc. We had him in P.T. for a while when he was three, only to have the therapist say he made the fastest progress she had ever come across. That's what still surprises us today - the way in which he just can't, and then decides to do whatever, and does really well.

We, too, have this problem with DD and I classify it under perfectionism. Do you think this is accurate? DD forever would not ride her tricycle and later bike that she begged for. It was so frustrating because we knew she was able but until she accepted that she really was she would not even try. Once she felt ready she progressed in a matter of hours and now rides her bike like a pro but only in the garage! She refuses to go down the driveway. Sometimes we trick her into it, but she is still content riding it in the garage. I suspect any day she will venture out. But what I just described is DD in a nut shell on everything. Trying to coax her into doing something is met with major resistance and only when she is confident in her abilities will she do it. Knowing this is part of her personality, it shocks me just how advanced she really is.