Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Let me stick my oar in (as parent of a mathy child and as a mathematician).... I'd be far more inclined to go geometry, including both classic Euclidean proof stuff and more modern and way-out stuff like 4D polytopes, geometric approach to complex numbers, and off into topology. Also, logic, proof, probability...

These all sound very yummy ((applause!!))
If the school doesn't come through, perhaps finding a tutor/mentor who can do the above is a good idea?

This is really still unusual in DYS? That shocks me, actually. Do you really have the impression that it's because something conceptual blocks children's progress, or is it just because most don't happen to go that way [e.g. you can't demonstrate that you can do calculations involving percentages if you've never met the word 'percentage', but would any 6yo DYS have any trouble after they'd been told what it meant? Is it GT denial to say that I doubt it?]

I do think that this is 'unusual' in DYS,and I think that the 'conceptual block' is in the minds of the adults. When my son was in 2nd grade, for example, I had NO IDEA that he was gifted, and neither did the teachers. Letting him try 6th grade math in 1st grade just wasn't on anyone's mind. Learning to tell time was a struggle in Kindy, and reading was just starting to solidify in First. Really.

I do remember that in first grade we played around as a family that it was possible to count to 100 on one's fingers by assigning each finger the value of 10. The teacher was blown away by that. I was blown away that she was blown away.

((shrugs and more shrugs))
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com