Originally Posted by Kriston
No. It's about providing a sufficiently stimulating home environment. DS6 has always been relatively quiet and polite and happy to entertain himself. Those are fine things. They make him easy to deal with. But they also masked his level of GTness.

Hi Kriston, I really think that this the key piece of information. My kid was never quiet and he certainly wasn't stealth about his GT. He was the kind of person who at 3 would ask questions relentlessly (and not in that "why? why? why?" monotone that ND kids use). It was more like "Why does that sign say "danger", but the other one says "warning'?" And "why does that sign say 'employees only beyond this point' what do you think is beyond that point? why can't we go there?" And he moved around all the time wanting to know about everything. So I did not need any testing to tell me he was smart and he was such a fireball and so demanding that I did everything he needed just by doing what he asked me to do, including checking out the 6th grade books from the library because he asked for them. He does the same in school--he keeps all the teachers on the ball and doesn't let a mistake go unnoticed. Nope, he's not even polite! So I cannot regret anything, but I don't think I can take credit for that--it was DS's doing.

But your kid seems to have a completely different temperment and I think that changes a lot. I know I am frequently guilty of assuming that other people's children will respond like my child (my "n" of 1 to use statistical speak) does and I am frequently wrong, which isn't statistically surprising. LOL.