Hi, I have been silently freaking out about my DS7's maturity in his year 4/5 class (having been accelarated earlier in the year from 3) after comments by his teacher and on his report card stating that he is less mature than his classmates and this sometimes causes tension.

I have witnessed this 'silliness' myself, which I had never seen before and cannot explain why it suddenly appeared, my guess is 'trying to fit in'.

Well, I have been to two school functions (one a full day excursion I helped supervise on) this past week and on both occasions witnessed many a year 4 boy carrying on with silliness - not just my DS. They giggle, they tell fantastic stories at a rate of knots, they push, shove, play-fight, cry when they are upset - the list goes on.

Some of them, on the other hand, were quite mature and seemed bored with the silliness of others. These kids are 8 turning 9. I saw a real mix of maturity levels.

I also met some of the other parents who also gave me (their)insight into the teacher which helped me understand even more.

I now keep asking myself why I didn't do it sooner. It seems normal to me and something he will grow out of - sooner rather than later, as his confidence grows.