I have to recommend this book. I went into our small town eclectic/non-discount(!) bookstore today, swearing I was only looking and then I saw it (it's been out for a while, can't believe I've missed seeing it):

Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher

I have only looked at one other Molly Bang book before, really liked the illustrations, but the illustrations in this book are sooooooo incredibly SMART, Beautiful, compelling I simply had to post about it. And yes, we walked out with it, dd3 hollering to ds8 about how he was going to LOVE it and read it to her over and over (it has no words smile )

This is also one of those slightly 'creepy' books that brothers and sisters will be talking about when they are 40 - 'remember that really scary book, with the completely bizarre but super cool illustrations??'
(I know I have at least a couple of those delightfully exciting books in my memory.)

So, after really going head-over-heels about this book, I found this, for grown ups -
Picture This: How pictures work
It really looks likes a great introduction to some basics of composition beyond the formulaic - to express emotion. Could be a great book to read for anyone, homeschool or otherwise, who is trying to tackle composition with kids.