Thanks for your thoughts! The trial classes were only one-offs, although DS has been allowed to do clubs (involving Math & thinking puzzles etc) with the older children and has been observed in these too. He has been working at this level (and above in Math), but only in his individual tuition.

When I asked DS how it was with the older children he said that he didn't really notice (I don't think that there was much novelty value there for him), only that the lessons were so much more interesting and that he wished he could go to them all the time.

The school are very supportive and will do everything that they can to make the transition smooth for him. We are obviously worried about the social/emotional aspects, but DS seems to prefer older company anyway (he will gravitate to older children or adults if given the chance). It is a huge jump to me (with some of the kids being almost 3 years older) but the school is very caring and the behaviour of the children seems very good so I am hoping that DS isn't given a hard time. One of the older boys came up to me in the cloakroom the other morning and said "did you know that you have a very clever son?" and then went off to his lessons, but it was all in a very nice way and made me think that hopefully he will be accepted and looked after by the older children smile

We haven't told DS about the skip yet, the Head has asked us to wait a couple of weeks so that she can sort out who his "Home Room" teacher will be next year etc. - she wants to place him carefully so that he doesn't feel abandoned! We have floated the idea of a single grade skip with him before and he was receptive to that, but very nervous. Any ideas on how you all went about it would be great, i.e. do we tell him he can change back if he is not happy or do we not give him an opt out in case he hits a rough patch?

What would I do without this forum...