Hi,

Chiming in late. This is a bit long. I was able to do a full grade skip(1st - 3rd) for my son (identified PG) in a private school. I found that walking in with
my test scores, articles and all my arsenal from the beginning helped me a lot. When he went for the admissions test (which I knew
for sure he would ace) I suggested that they also test him for
a higher grade. So, he went in once for testing ( at both grade
levels) and then twice for shadowing - once in his designated
class and once in a grade ahead. I also said that I would trust the
school officials decision on this. The results came back - they offered a grade skip option as they found that he related socially and emotionally better with kids who are 2 years older than him than with his peers.

I think that going in with all pertinent information and data for your case gives you a big advantage.

Coming to your question regarding planning for next year,
I actually set up a meeting first with his teacher this year
voicing my concerns and asking her suggestions on how to deal
with them (underachievement mainly)She basically gave me the map.
Told me to meet the Head of Schools and then set up a meeting
with the next grade teacher and the Special Ed teacher (he
is in a pull-out program twice a week). She also agreed
to be present at all the meetings for support. She also asked
me to show them examples of the kind of work he is doing at home.

I think I like the idea in having a plan set for the coming year
because then the teacher knows what to expect instead of my child coming
in the beginning of the year (after a very enriching summer) and then just be back at where he started.
However, our school is a very small school with only 1 class/grade so I obviously knew who his teacher is.

I used the Templeton National Report on Acceleration as the basis of most of my arguments. Gave the school officials a copy as well. You can get a copy of it here
http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/

The other option is schools with mixed grades - like a friend of mine sends her daughter to a Montessori program and she has access to all the material she needs at whatever level she
is in.
Hope this helps. All the best.

Smita