Originally Posted by CFK
Since you don't want to physically subject accelerate him you could ask for him to do independent study (Aleks?) in class.

The only thing that we felt ever really worked for us was to hire a private tutor to teach our son at his level and his speed at home.
Yes, I've wondered about whether he could do ALEKS at school. I think that might be good, although provided they give him *something* at an appropriate level in class I don't think it necessarily has to be ALEKS. Since when learning new stuff he needs some level of individual attention at present (he's not quite at the point where he can teach himself maths from a book, I think), it may be best that he's doing review, but that could be achieved by sending him in with ALEKS worksheets, which review things he's already done at home. It's suboptimal for him to learn new stuff only at home, but it would be OK. Or they might feel it easier to set him stuff from their normal workbook series, which could also work, I think, provided they'd let him skip review bits once he'd got the idea.

You say the only think that worked was hiring a tutor at home - does that mean you tried the independent study in class route and it didn't work out? For now, I don't think a tutor would add anything - DH and I have enough background in both maths and teaching, and we haven't yet hit problems of DS being unwilling to be taught by us, though I suppose we may as he grows up. In fact, although it sounds as though EPGY, CTY etc. may have some advantages over ALEKS, part of what puts me off is paying more to have access to a tutor we don't need for now.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail