OK, you have all made a difference.
This is what I just did:
1) I wrote a note to the principal formally requesting a certain teacher (she had asked me to put it in writing for her files) and on the bottom I added that we will want a meeting towards the end of K to discuss skipping to 2nd grade.

2) Then, here is the letter that I just drafted about DD9:
(Feel free to criticize, but remember it is a small community and has to be a little warm and fuzzy)

4/29/2009

Mrs. G,

I just wanted to let you know about my meeting with Mrs. R today and what "hubby" and I are thinking about next year.

It was a nice meeting, Mrs. R took a lot of time to talk with me. She has great passion for her students! Understandably, her request regarding creating a separate plan for DD9, or subject acceleration, or anything else "out of the box" was that we wait and see after a few weeks of school, instead of planning now. I understand this because everything that I explained to her was new to her. I made sure that she understood that I was not telling her what to do, just explaining our situation. I was also just interested in meeting her and seeing what the classroom was like.

I have gotten some help recently from people who know the profoundly gifted well, and a grade skip might be the easiest option for everyone. The exception is that DD9 is "on the fence" about how she feels about it. I am concerned about underachievement, but will know more when those standardized tests come back. Her IQ is in the profoundly gifted range, in the 99.9th percentile (so is her sister's) so if she is not being pushed at all then we start to see sadness, restlessness, and underachievement. I had no idea until recently, as you know, how unusual our kids are.

I have never advocated grade skipping because my father did, my husband did, and my mother did, and only my father was really happy with it. My mother's was an extreme situation, she went to college at 16 and had trouble socially. My parents never allowed me to skip, I wish they had, actually.

I think that maybe this summer, once we have had time to talk and think, we might want to meet you with just to discuss options, like subject acceleration, at the least. I am also feeling positive about that Florida Virtual School idea as a "mom and me" activity or something.

Thanks,

"Elizabethmom"

So, is it too weak?