Originally Posted by Dottie
Originally Posted by Ebeth
Hang in there! It is really too bad that we are all fighting this battle alone in our own little school districts. Sigh! I wish there was a way that we could flood each other's school with a letter writing campaign... a form of testimonial to say that "My child is a highly gifted child whose behavior and progress in school dramatically improved after a grade acceleration!" We could stuff your Assistant Principle's mail box to the brim!
Oh yeah, I could help!!!

My son has benefited though from the scattered others. I literally have a story or situation to meet with every objection my school throws at me.

Maybe I spent too much time working for a dotcom in the late 90's, but this smells like an enormous opportunity for someone to create highly useful website.

Are any of our web/software programming savvy young adult gifties out there up for the challenge? Build it, and they will come ...

I am envisioning a searchable, quotable, quantifiable database of experiences. more than just a list of anecdotes or eye-rollers (ridculous things I heard today...) (No offense to Hoagies. It is an awesome site and an awesome resource.) But I think you are on to something here eBeth and Dottie... How can we aggregate our experiences into an easily accessible format?

I am thinking it would have to be anonymous, like this site. But built in a way so that individual incidents of setbacks and successes could be compiled into a nationwide reference tool.

example: you could go to a site and fill in some brief (hopefully non-identifiable info)
J.Smith: 10 yrs old. (or childqqR752)
school: public middle
tests completed: WISC... received FISQ of XXX on a good test day
grade level: full grade skip in X grade
accomodations: meeting student needs for the moment
teacher: supportive of child's needs.

etc.

Then once enough data was compiled other folks could go back and reference it. Like pull a report that says: In the last 6 months there were 578 reported instances of children who walked out of the classroom when the book being read was X years behind their current reading level. Or: In the last X months, 72 parents reported behavior issues improving after their child was accelerated at least one grade level. ETC.

OK, I am starting to ramble here but does anyone see where I am going with this?

Anyone interested in building it? After all Hoagies, craiglist, and many other great sites were once a just labor of love of a single person.

Last edited by EastnWest; 04/24/09 01:52 PM. Reason: changed wording