Over the past few months my daughter has started to read faster and faster. More recently she has started skipping words - usually articles, prepositions, some adjectives... and she will often insert her own articles and prepositions such that the sentence often retains exactly the same meaning, but is not exactly what is written on the page. I have tried switching to easier books, but that seems to just make the problem worse. I tell her "slow down!" and she will slow down for a sentence or two but then starts racing through the page again. I tried harder books to force her to slow down, but she still flies (incorrectly) over the articles and prepositions and just concentrates on the "hard" words. Any ideas? Will this self-correct or do I need to do something? My own feeling is that she can read much faster than she can speak, and that this is tripping her up a bit. I thought about telling her about the idea of "reading silently" - but then I won't know if she is still having the problem.
Thanks.