Thomas is a really nice level for a bit above 'beginning' but not too far. We had a book club thing where we'd get a new double book or two each month. Ds loved them, although I mostly read to him at that point. Now the set is at a cousins house being fully loved. My son sort of leapt from not reading to reading a couple of easy readers to reading captain underpants to beyond that (maybe because of a lack of compelling material at that level) - I can't think of much either!!
But we have another kiddo approaching reading so this would be great info to have. Actually, come to think of it, some of the Olivia picture books are very very enjoyable and suspenseful for short books with very fun illustrations. We have Olivia helps with Christmas, Olivia's best toy and Olivia. Our dd is not up to those, but your dd might really dig them. (so to my sluggish morning-brain, take that! wink )
Also, Rosemary Wells, more great illustrations, some really good writing, actually. See 'Bunny Planet'. Hope these aren't too 'babyish' for her. I enjoy them anyway wink

I am re-reading your post to see you said 'independently'...you might want to check out 'Frannie K. Stein, Little Girl Mad Scientist', a series. Still not entirely sure what level you are shooting at...

Last edited by chris1234; 02/27/09 06:48 AM. Reason: second thoughts..