Acs, That's great that your son's already sold on the whole process and institute, etc. I had to coax my son, by telling him that some people really enjoy testing & lifting that ceiling to see how well they can do. The only prep he did was one practice test timed (from the booklet that comes with either ACT or SAT). He'd sit in the dining room and I'd say "go". I just didn't want him to get negative about it if we did a lot of extra work to prep. For the sample test, we broke it up instead of doing it in one sitting, and I went over any wrong answers with him so he'd understand. Key strategy is answer EVERYTHING for ACT but only answer the ones you know for SAT. That was another thing I did--read the instructions very carefully with my son to make sure he understood the difference (SAT wrong answers count against you). I made sure he knew that this was totally for fun, didn't count, wouldn't be on the "permanent record", but could open doors for him.

Make sure they bring a watch, a calculator, sharpened pencils, ID, info with social security number, or whatever other information they ask them to fill out before the test starts, snack/water bottle.