What a timely post. I have a 2nd grader whose MAP scores were in the 99% across in all tested subject areas, except for general science, which his teacher said was fine as they did not have much science exposure. He still fit into the "high" performance category for science. I have the RIT value sheet for the MAP and his scores put him at the middle-of-the-year 4th for math, end-of-the-year 4th for reading, and beginning-of-the-year 4th for language, and beginning-of-the-year 4th for science.

He has been differentiated in spelling, reading, language and math. I don't think it has made a bit of difference. He said he talks most of the time in math(pull-out in anther classroom differentiation) because the work is easy and boring and that he finishes the problems right away and spends the rest of his time chatting. He also told me that during his morning work they are allowed to make up their own math worksheets and that he is writing multiplication and division questions while the rest of his class is writing out simple addition and subtraction.

The school seems to think this differentiation is working but he is not challenged and has told me he is bored. I am entertaining the idea of having him take the SCAT through JHU. He qualifies both through his MAP scores and through the basic "parental referral" option. I am not too familiar with the SCAT but would the school tend to pay more attention to his scores on the SCAT if they were out of norm for his grade? He is just too young to take the EXPLORE so that option is out.

He is the "perfect child" at school. He never gets in trouble, never complains, is a great helper, and is very polite. I think because he is embarrassed to tell the teacher how bored he is because he does not want to stick out. He tends to like the status quo.

Any thoughts?