The following video posted to YouTube on January 31, 2023, contains a compendium of quotes from various interviews with Elon Musk on the topic of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Subtopics include: risk, regulation, existential threat, technology, synthetic biology, and unemployment as AI takes over jobs. The video is just over 19 minutes in length, and provides material to think about all day... and beyond.
video link -

Originally Posted by video

1:15 "... think they know more than they do. And they think they are smarter than they actually are. This tends to plaque smart people. They define themselves by their intelligence. And they don't like the idea that a machine can be way smarter than them, so they discount the idea."

2:45 "... the percent of intelligence that is not human is increasing. And eventually we will represent a very small percentage of intelligence.

3:04 "... all the things we like and hate and fear, they're all there on the internet, they are projections of our limbic system and we are all feeding this network with our questions and answers. We are all collectively programming the AI..."

4:22 "Your phone is already an extension of you ... most people don't realise they are already a cyborg if that phone is an extension of yourself... a cybernetic extension..."

4:53 "The merge scenario with AI is the one that seems probably the best... for us...If you can't beat it, join it."

5:12 "From a long-term existential standpoint... that's the purpose of Neuralink... create a high bandwidth interface with the brain such that we can be symbiotic with AI"

6:11 "regulation... insight and oversight to confirm that everyone is developing AI safely"

6:38 "What to do about mass unemployment? This is going to be a massive social challenge. I think ultimately we will have to have some kind of Universal Basic Income. I don't think we are going to have a choice. I think it will be necessary. There will be fewer and fewer jobs that a robot cannot do better. I want to be clear. These are not things that I wish would happen... these are simply things that I think probably will happen. If my assessment is correct and they probably will happen then we need to say what are we going to do about it?"

7:29 "... the output of goods and services will be extremely high. With automation will come abundance. Almost everything will get very cheap"

8:00 "The much harder challenge is... how do people then have meaning? A lot of people derive their meaning from their employment. So if you don't have... if you're not needed... if there's not a need for your labour... that's a much harder problem to deal with."

9:39 (Jobs and career fields) " technologist... sustainable energy, genetics & synthetic biology, AI... going from analog to digital... technology tools are definitely double-edged swords, the more powerful the technology, the more careful we need to be in how we use it."