So my dad said I would do very well as a minstrel, but unfortunately for us those jobs don't exist anymore, lol.

At least in me, I think giftedness has caused a bit of a paralysis -- like, if I want to study most subjects, I can crank out a graduate level text and academic papers and get up to speed, so it ends up being more about interest than about ability. I know traits associated with giftedness vary and that this is not universal, but I'm sure a fairly common experience. On the other extreme, some professions such as professional sports are obviously next to impossible for even the most gifted if they don't start early and with the right environment.

I think perhaps a better question might be, what has been the relationship between the skill set acquired in childhood (e.g. advanced problem solving via Olympiads, competitive athletics, skill with language, etc.), skills acquired later in life, childhood interests and passions, vs adult interests and passions, and compromises linked to financial constraints or desired lifestyle?

Last edited by giftedamateur; 09/04/22 04:26 PM.