An interesting case of intersectionality I hadn't thought about before.

Originally Posted by indigo
the quality of gifted programs in meeting student needs varies greatly.

... one will also want to keep an eye on inequities faced by gifted students from minority populations depending on the location of the school & prevailing political opinions. e.g. a school director with more negative attitudes towards minorities might care less about making sure that pupils from all backgrounds have equal chances of accessing gifted programs. Not counting occurrences of pupils internalizing experiences of discrimination at an early age and thus possibly experiencing more trouble at expressing their giftedness in the first place.

In general - if the implementation of gifted programs exposes societal issues such as racial discrimination, it is a good reason to try and find solutions that accomodate students from all backgrounds. Simply ditching programs for gifted pupils feels to me like not properly dealing with the intersecting problem of prejudice. Or even worse, this reaction might actually stem from prejudice itself, as Eagle Mum has been putting very well.

Originally Posted by Eagle Mum
the hypocrisy of, if not deliberate sabotage by, those who hold the power to enact these changes to the public education system, whilst their own children continue to gain the benefits of the private school sector which is free to ignore these policies.

In that sense, I completely agree with

Originally Posted by Aquinas
Eliminating gifted programming in the public education system is anti-egalitarian.

If by trying to solve a certain problem, you stumble upon a second one, you should probably go all the way through and solve both instead of backpedaling. In that sense, I also enjoyed this sharp question being raised in the article: "Since when does equity mean everyone gets nothing?"

smile