Quick update:

My sons teacher put me in contact with the gifted coordinator. She told me that I could request a retest for cognitive ability. I asked her which test would be used to se if it would be different than the initial screener test. They use NNAT3 for retesting. I did a quick Google search and felt like this test was different enough from the first test and also felt like it may capture his abilities better than the first test. My husband and I decided to request the retest.

I emailed the coordinator to geta rough idea about when he would be tested. I told my son that he’d be pulled out of class to have a test (he gets anxiety when the school routine is altered, so I wanted to give him a heads up). I told him that depending on how he does on the test, it might unlock new opportunities for him at school. That seemed logical to him and he said he’d try his best. With the retest he met the criteria for the school’s gifted program.

I don’t really know what the gifted program is like, but we are hoping it might give him
More challenge and opportunity at school. I hope he will get to know other kids that have common interests. He tolerates school but there just isn’t anything that really makes him want to go (friends or certain classes or activities). We’re hoping this might give him a reason to want to go to school.