Originally Posted by oop
Can please someone help me better articulate the position why the upper level of testing is better in distinguishing gifted student vs lower level?
A little background. Ny child got tested this year again and didn't get in. Strange enough, our district offered the same level of IOWA testing that it was last year which resulted in a huge drop in percentiles. Last year she got 5 missed questions and ended up in 95th percentile in Reading, this year 2 missed questions resulted in 92nd percentile. A similar situation happened in Math, 7 missed questions resulted in 96th percentile last year, this year a single missed question resulted in 97th percentile.
I want to schedule a meeting with someone from the district who is responsible for the testing, and I want to be able to explain this point. Thank you.

I think you are saying that your child took the Level 7 IOWA test two years in a row. The first year, they scored better than 95% of other first graders. The second year, they scored better than only 92% of other second graders, despite answering more questions correctly.

I am not an expert, but yes, high-ceiling or out-of-level testing is often chosen for gifted identification, because it tends to spread out the bell curve and better prise out the differences between high-level scores. A test on which your child got only two incorrect, is in my opinion a not-useful test for demonstrating your child's ability.

But on the other hand, if the program is designed for students who score better than 98% of other students on that particular (marginally on-level) test, then it may be more geared toward the methodical and detail-oriented kiddo than the thirsty-for-knowledge intellectually gifted kiddo, you know? Is it really a value-added program for your particular child?

Regardless, if you want to appeal the decision or advocate for a more-appropriate testing protocol for identification -- especially since you're suggesting a more-rigorous protocol that isn't guaranteed to benefit your own particular child! -- I think you definitely have standing and are justified in making this request or suggestion. Good luck!