Our son turned 6 and we had him tested with WISC-V. Aeh or others, can you please give feedback to my interpretation of the results? We will have a follow up consult with the psychologist and want to better understand his profile so we can ask better questions. Extended norms test was conducted since 3 main modules hit 19.

VCI 161
SIM-EN 19/20
VOC-EN 19/20

VSI 132
BD 16
VP 15

FRI 165
MR-EN 19/24
FW 17
Arithmetic 19

WMI 132
DS 17
PS 15

PSI 129
Cd 15
SS 15

FSIQ 159
GAI 162
CPI 138

1). Aeh - you gave advice on my older son as well. He had FSIQ 144 and GAI 151 - this was before extended norms were developed and IIRC he hit the ceiling on a few modules back then. For my older son, you mentioned that there was a big difference in FSIQ and GAI, but you stopped short of suggesting learning disability. Do you see potential for hidden learning disability here? Is the amount of difference between VCI / FRI and VSI / WMI / PSI enough to be a potential cause for concern?. http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....uld_we_test_individual_I.html#Post234435

2). My interpretation of VCI/FRI and VSI/WMI/PSI is that he has high verbal and non verbal intelligence, but processing / creating output at age appropriate speed. It matches our observation of him - often when he was asked a question he would take a relatively long time to provide an answer, but when the answer was finally provided it would often be surprising, and when asked to explain his answer it would be full of complicated logic (for his age). This seems fine to us, but is there anything else that we should be aware of for a child with this profile?

3). Our decision and experience with our older DYS, who is now 13, has been to keep him in public school and not grade accelerate so he can develop normal social / emotional skills with age appropriate peers, while providing in class acceleration and external enrichment at his appropriate achievement level to keep things interesting. We are of the mindset that the IQ will likely lead to success for him in whatever he ends up being passionate about, but that IQ is useless without developing appropriate EQ throughout his life in dealing with people in the real world. That’s why we decided against schools for gifted children (we think it’s a bubble that does not represent the real world), and went with public school with in school IEP and external enrichment. It has worked out pretty well and we are inclined to do the same for our younger son, but he is one full SD (15 points) in FSIQ higher than his older brother (difference in GAI is lower, only 11 points). Do you see potential cause of concern for our youngest if we follow the same strategy for our oldest?

4). My understanding of FRI is that it’s kinda a engineer / computer programmer / abstract creator type skill. Given his score in that domain, we plan on focusing enrichment in that area - like mathy stuff, coding games, abstract puzzle solving, AoPS style of learning math, etc. But his VCI is high as well and we are not quite sure what that means. We are looking for appropriate themes of external enrichment / activities that someone with high VCI/FRI might like and enjoy. Thoughts?

5). He has developed some social issues in class. He is impatient with his peers since they are too slow. He complains that he has no friends in school. Even though he is 6, you have to earn his respect for him to address you… like for instance he would respond to the main teacher, but roll his eyes at the teaching assistant because he can already perceive that the TA is not as good as the teacher. His verbal treatment to some of his age appropriate peers can be downright nasty sometimes, but super sweet at other times. We shared this observation with the psychologist who administer WISC-V and he spent some time exploring this. He does not think there is an inherent issue - i.e. hidden disability. He thinks our son just need to learn appropriate social norms with some adult assistance. The school, given our son’s behavior, has started reaching out to put together a child study team. What is the most appropriate and diplomatic way to communicate this to the school?

We have a very accommodating school district, and they know us from having two older child already through the system with IEP. I am pretty sure they will try their best to adopt whatever plan we present to them, so we are just trying to come up with the best plan for our youngest.

Thanks!

Last edited by galun; 04/16/22 09:14 AM.