I would definitely consider giving your child access to ongoing opportunities for testing... if your child rather enjoys the tests (as a challenge or a curiosity and break from the daily routine)... but not if your child finds the testing stressful (or a measure of their value or self-worth).

What a wonderful phrase, "intellectual neediness," a great stand-in for the oft-scorned word "gifted," as it may more accurately describe the drive for learning which these people experience internally and which is also often observable externally! smile I like that this phrase expresses an inherent difficulty, challenge, and uphill battle which these people may face daily... also summarizes their minority status while hinting at the solution to including, validating, affirming, and accepting them.

Absolutely continue to enrich at home, in whatever ways you are able to as a family. This makes home the safe space, the soft place to land, the place where your child is understood, accepted, and encouraged. This can be a tremendous source of strength for a child, from which they can build up their emotional reserves for dealing with negative situations which may pop up at school or elsewhere in life.

BTW, I would also talk about rules, the reason for rules in general, and whether certain rules are accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. I would also brainstorm on establishing rules, demonstrating respect for family rules, discussing loop holes, the letter of the law, the spirit of the law, being responsible for one's own decisions, being accountable, making restitution, and other concepts surrounding right/wrong, such as a well-developed conscience, fairness, and equal treatment. If a child is welcome to analyze and discuss the rules, they may be less likely to circumvent them.

You are not alone! This old thread may be of interest: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....veryone_Loves_the_School.html#Post191786