Originally Posted by aeh
Here I'll throw in an example of a divergent profile that might be familiar to some readers: persons with high VC and low WM might (not always, as there are other factors too) be among those who are quite strong in oral language and comprehension or expression of complex verbal reasoning, but struggle to learn basic reading or spelling skills. Sometimes they can discuss topics at a high level, but generate unexpectedly simplistic written language.

I have a standing interest in the different ways the SBV address WM vs the WISC. And what significant differences may imply. My children all have relatively poor, or actually poor performance on WISC WM, with good to gifted range results in the SBV WM. This seems to be related BOTH to numbers vs words, and to how meaningful the content is. They can't retain things that aren't meaningful to them. All of them learned to read more like each other than how schools insisted kids learned to read (context driven not word driven). This was true of my very dyslexic child, with the lowest VC of my kids, and even more true of my exceptionally verbally gifted child.

As beginner readers the hardest words in a sentence were "the" & "and", and other words that convey no meaning on their own. Faced with "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" the hard words would be "the" & maybe "over" and they'd quite possibly struggle with "the" both times it appeared.

Once cracking reading, and with typing provisions, they did not go on to have limitations in written expression, far from it, even the dyslexic child. Actually my child with the highest digit span (by two standard deviations or more) has the most trouble with written expression, even with typing. Interestingly, now that I have checked: this child has the lowest WM scores on the SBV, though their WM scores are closer between the two tests than my other two, who had dramatic differences between WISC & SBV WM.