Just after turning 5, my son took both the WPPSI-IV and then the SAGES-3 Non-Verbal Reasoning within a few weeks of one another. The WPPSI was first part of an evaluation for a medical condition typically associated with cognitive difficulties, the SAGES was for entry into our districts G/T pre-program.

His WPPSI scores were:

[removed]

I was able to observe this test, unfortunately taken in the afternoon after a full day of school, and saw the loss of focus over the 2 hours, with the zoo locations among the last, and he was mostly just being silly and uncooperative.

Based on the FSIQ, I had thought the SAGES-3 95% cut-off would be met with certainty, so I was surprised when that came back with a 91%.

I have tried googling to understand what the SAGES-3 questions are like in comparison to the WPPSI-IV and can't find any good examples.

I am pretty new to all this, and if not for the WPPSI from this other program I would have just moved on. I am concerned because he misbehaves when bored, and that is not a road I want to go down. My slightly older son scored a 99% on the SAGES-3 for school the year prior, and I consider them evenly matched albeit with some different strengths.

So among my many questions are:

1) Am I wrong in my expectations off of the WPPSI score? Where does this FSIQ fall in % terms.
2)How do we end up with a FSIQ of 138 when only the Visual Spatial Composite is that high?
3)Does one of the WPPSI subtest mimic the SAGES-3 NVR?
4)If these results are "inconsistent" is one more valid than the other? Is this type of inconsistency common?

Thanks for the insight -- its been tough to gain info, the school administration has a very laissez faire attitude, and the developmental pediatrician was satisfied with his result in the context of the medical predisposition. (And I didn�t have the SAGES result to ask about yet)

Last edited by hamburgerman; 03/07/22 07:22 AM.