I've learned a lot from this thread - truly appreciate it.

Let me attempt to connect the dots here as well as provide more context for the basis of my original inquiry.

When/where I grew up in the 80s-90s - the word gifted, at least according to my memory, was not in the common vernacular. Instead, we would sometimes use the word genius, e.g., to describe students at the math Olympia level.

Fast forward today, I think this thread has revealed that I have been miscalibrated on the definition of giftedness in at least two ways. First, it encompasses a far wider range of observable aptitudes than the traditional academic areas that I am accustomed to. Second, regardless of the dimension of aptitude, the range is also wider than I had previously thought.

At the end of the day, this goes back to our school choice. The magnet school program advertises as catering to "extraordinarily gifted children" and has a requirement that students test at least +3SD on the WISC or its equivalents. They make a big deal about how special the kids are, which may have colored my perception. In retrospect, I don't think 3SD should be deemed extraordinary (but I've also accepted that this language can be viewed through the lens of puffery).

Since posing this question, I have asked some parents of the program about their kids and it's in concordance with the views expressed in the thread: no observably obvious Terrence Tao-types (not a big shocker ex-post). We're still trying to figure out whether the school is a good fit so I don't have much to add at this point.

Finally, in terms of our child, the WISC revealed very balanced scores across the 5 categories (on a relative basis, VC, VS, and FR were the strongest, and WM was the weakest). Our day-to-day observations are that she is 1) excellent but not "extraordinary" at a variety of academic subjects 2) very advanced in terms of social-emotional development/control than her peers (observed by us and the teacher; she is most comfortable talking to adults). The one "talent/passion" that we've observed and cultivated is music - she is extremely advanced in piano and violin and has also started the cello, the latter of her own volition.

That's probably more information than anyone cares, but I just wanted to help the posters understand the basis for my question.

Last edited by timeout; 12/06/21 11:47 AM.