I’m so sorry you all are struggling right now. I suspect many posters here can relate; our family can for sure.

I was watching this thread, hoping someone had some insight for you- mainly because I am not sure I have much insight! Though I can offer plenty of support, understanding and commiseration. I think this is a tough question, as there are so many different variables involved. One of the biggest, I imagine, is even finding a therapist with that focus. So, while I don’t have that experience, I can share a bit of our own story in case that can help you make decisions going forward.

We feel very lucky in the therapist we see- she is family therapist, among other things, recommended to us by our wonderful pediatrician. She has seen all of us individually, and we have had family sessions together in various configurations, as needed. Right now she is working individually with you youngest (virtually while they are at college) and I see her individually as well. While she is not specifically trained in gifted issues, I have found her to be extremely helpful. It certainly helps that we have great rapport, and it’s clear that she is very intelligent (she has a PhD, teaches grad students in psychology, is an author, etc). She has been able to connect well with each of us, and the fact that she knows my kid well helps when I am struggling with issues similar to those that you raise (guilt, intensity, uncertainty and anxiety about how to help your kid, etc). There has been noticeable improvement in our family communication as well.
ETA: She has helped me see different perspectives and gain clarity when my thoughts are muddled or disorganized. At this point we see her only intermittently, on an as-needed basis, but just knowing she’s available is deeply helpful.

So I’m a big fan of this therapist and her approach- but with the caveat that our kids are older (college age, though DS started with her in high school) and I don’t have any experience with gifted-focused therapists with which to compare. Good luck, and I hope you find someone who works for you. Perhaps you could ask your kid’s therapist for a recommendation?

Last edited by cricket3; 10/01/21 08:02 AM.