I would love some feedback from folks about which school to pick for my son. He is a rising 6th grader, social, equally interested in math/engineering and art/music. Does best when working at his own pace and allowed to advance quickly thru material. Otherwise, school feels like a huge drag for him. For that reason, loves homeschool but would miss the social aspect of school too much so that is not really an option.

The public school system where we live is severely underfunded and so pretty poor quality. Most middle schools have few electives if any. We have three choices for middle school and I would love to hear the perspectives of folks in this group about which one would help my kid thrive:

1- First option would be to pay tuition to attend the �best� public school in the state. They have a STEM certification in middle school. Tons of electives. And a TAG program. The downside: we don�t live in district so he wouldn�t have friends nearby. Also, the community of rich and white, and we wouldn�t necessarily fit in (or want to embrace that culture). We�d have to commute 30 min each way.

2- Second option is a public magnet/lottery school that is known for its alternative, inquiry-based approach, amazing community building, great teachers and so very positive social/emotional. Downside of this school is that the curriculum is not accelerated or advanced, and so gifted kids don�t have that option.

3- Third option would be a low-cost private school that is also project-based learning with extremely small class size, so lots of individual connection and attention, but with a rigid founder-led administration that is not open to parent feedback. Acceleration might be possible, with lots of advocacy and tiptoeing around teachers.

What would you do??? Would love opinions from folks that have been thru middle school� what is best for profoundly gifted kids?