Very true, indigo. Almost everything is vulnerable to a certain amount of manipulation by the motivated stakeholder--some less legal than others, some merely ethically questionable.

I speculate that the author's interest in NWEA MAP instead of ISEE is related to this point, since, unlike ISEE, there is not exactly a thriving test-prep industry around MAP, and the adaptive nature of the test (including a fairly deep pool of equivalenced test items) ought, in theory, to make it a bit more challenging to game.

In addition, since in many places it is routinely administered district-wide, 1-3 times annually, it may be viewed as possibly more accessible to a wider range of the school population. It even comes in Spanish.

In no way am I proposing it as a be-all, end-all, (especially since MAP was originally designed for lower-stakes progress monitoring, rather than high-stakes access to services) but I think it's valuable that something like this is in the conversation regarding access/selection to advanced learning opportunities, especially as, with reference to the quote, nationally-normed testing (or even psychometrically sound state-wide testing) is one of the few objective measures that cannot be heavily bent by the personal biases of teacher, parent or administrator (assuming ethical administration and scoring).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...