Thank you both for taking the time to provide your thoughtful replies.

@MumOfThree, I posed this same question on a forum frequented by high school students and MuseScore also came up there and seems to be the favourite. Your anecdote of file sharing benefits sounds awesome. Since it is free, I’ll definitely get my son to download & try.

@Cricket3, thanks for sharing your DC’s experience with Sibelius and your feedback that she found it user friendly & intuitive. I was starting to worry that it might not be user friendly. Whilst we will try MuseScore, we’ll likely still get Sibelius as I really want to make sure DS is well supported with everything he needs.

Wrt class vs teacher resources, our local high school serves a mixed demographic with more families at the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum. School fees are very low and noncompulsory, so they have a shoestring budget. Teachers often buy their own resources to make their lessons more effective. I do donate quite a bit since I’m not paying expensive private school fees and the school does a lot with very little, but I also furnish my kids with supplemental resources, so that they aren’t at a disadvantage.