Originally Posted by Portia
We used vision therapy and occupational therapy together to help address the visual processing issues. It will not help if the issues are not visually based, so test for it first.

Some of the things you mention are logic based rather than visual based. Yes, it could impact some types of puzzles but not all. How is she in match games? How is her handwriting? How is her artwork?

Sometimes it is tricky to figure all this out.

Her artwork is great, her handwriting is average for sizing and neatness but I've noticed she makes odd mistakes on layout when copying text. Eg, doesn't leave a line between paragraphs, will write the headline and then directly next to it start writing the first line of text, etc. Once I pointed it out to her, she didn't make the same mistake again (she was writing out a previously typed assignment), but it's weird that she made it in the first place.

There's always been lots of little things like that where a normal kid would just infer/use common sense. Not just on handwriting, but on everything. When they first started doing comprehension at school I had to explain to her that she had to read the text first, before attempting to answer the questions. Then I had to explain to her that she couldn't make the answers up, she had to get the information from the text. Stuff you wouldn't usually have to explain. I had to explain to her that she should read the introduciton paragraph in her maths book before trying to do the questions, etc. The other day she had a test in class, matching landform names to their definitions/pictures. There were no explicit instructions. The first question had the word 'plateau' and then 4 multiple choice definitions, of which she had to tick one. She completed the question. The next quesiton the format changed. There was the word 'island' and the four pictures. She didn't know what to do. She couldn't use common sense/inference to understand that she was still supposed to be matching things. She knew all the content for this unit inside out, in Spanish and English, including spelling, etc. But without very explicit instructions she didn't know what to do. Once things are explained in painstaking detail to her, she usually outperforms her peers. Anyways, I've gone off on a tangent.

I'm not sure what match games are - you mean like card-flipping-matching memory games? She regularly beats us.

Last edited by LazyMum; 12/22/20 05:06 AM.