Originally Posted by aeh
We didn't discuss her subtest scores back a few years, so I don't know if the change in scores in question is actually as great a change at the level of the individual tasks (rather, the one individual task). I'll also note that one of the subtests that was on the PIQ and is now in the VSI is timed, with bonus points for speed, so if your DD turned on the jets for that task (especially at the level she currently demonstrates), the high score on the PIQ could have been partly or mostly explained by that subtest.

If you have access to the subtests from past and present testing, we might be able to tease out some other possible hypotheses.

BTW, did you see any change on the VCI vs VIQ? After nearly three years of instruction, you might expect a slightly more accurate representation of verbal cognition in the second language.

Hi aeh, thanks as always for your detailed reply!

I don't have a copy of the first test so I can't compare subtests, but her verbal scores haven't changed much. She got 104 on the WPPSI and 111 on the WISC V. I don't know much about how the verbal tests work but I know that over the last 3 years her grammar has improved more than her vocab. There are still lots of common nouns and verbs in Spanish that other kids would hear around the house, from their family, etc that DD doesn't know. She knows 'school Spanish'. She can use what she knows well, but if she hasn't heard it at school then she hasn't heard it.

I'm happy to share the subtest results of this most recent test, if you think it would be helpful.

They also did 7 other tests, many of which tested overlapping executive function skills, but the results look very strange/inconsistent to me, eg her ENFEN (executive functioning) subtest results ranged from 4/10 to 10/10, and she scored poorly on impulsivity. But her MFF20 (reflexivity and impulsivity) results were great for impulsivity (bottom 2%) but poor for inefficiency. Then her CARAS-R test results said she had great sustained attention (top 1%) but her CSAT-R results said she had terrible sustained attention. Happy to share the subtests from those test too, if you think it will help.

I really don't know what's going on. It's all over the shop.

Last edited by LazyMum; 12/20/20 02:50 PM.