I haven’t watched the tv series, but thought I’d post that DH & DS love chess and have studied it quite deeply (separately & together) but they only play against chess computers. They don’t enjoy the adversarial nature of actual ‘over the board’ games against human opponents.

DH has played in three tournaments as an adult and because his ELO rating (from his youth) was so far below his actual ability (he can even play simultaneous games of blindfold chess although he regards this as just a parlour trick to impress his father-in-law & my uncles), he caused tournament upsets which were written about in chess news. DS doesn’t have an ELO rating so he could make quite an interesting debut one day if he chooses, but he prefers activities where he can focus on PBs (track & field athletics, speedcubing). He is training for maths olympiads which is a competitive arena, but he’s mainly in it for the enjoyment of problem solving and his biggest passion of all is music composition. Although I’ve never sought to influence his choices, I am pleased with how he elects to spend his time.