Yes, his kindergarten teacher was a wonderful individual. DH remarked several times to me that he could picture her, in a different era, as the ‘wise elder of the village’.

I suspect the other major influence was a senior teacher who never actually formally taught DS. Over here, our education system includes Yr 5 & 6 opportunity classes (OC) in one public school per district which enrol students from anywhere through a competitive exam process. Although not involved with teaching early primary students, the senior OC teacher took an interest in DS from the start of kindergarten and would chat to him at lunch breaks (I once saw one of DS’s original origami creations reproduced and displayed by this teacher’s entire class). This teacher ran all the enrichment programs (maths comp, chess team, school band, cross country training) at the school & DS was an asset in all of them. DS was eventually only in the classes taught by the other OC teacher during his upper primary years, but just before he retired, the senior teacher confided to me that with over twenty years of experience teaching gifted children, DS stood out as extraordinarily gifted.

For me, his Grade 4 teacher stood out. With a reputation as a very prickly personality, most students fervently hoped to avoid having her as a teacher. She and DS developed a strong mutual respect and fondness.

To his credit, DS is a team player. I’ve watched him give his all to enable his relay team to win, knowing it would be detrimental to his performance in the ensuing race which was his favourite & best solo event. These sorts of sacrifices endear him to both teachers & students.

Last edited by Eagle Mum; 07/29/20 03:56 PM.