Originally Posted by Texas Summer
Originally Posted by _KaT_
Their Highly Gifted Services state:

The Highly Gifted Program is a K-12 program offered to eligible students with general intellectual abilities at or above 145 on the Stanford Binet Intelligence Scale administered by a licensed psychologist.

Does the school administer the SB or are the parents responsible for the testing? I have been working to get an HG/PG elementary class in our district but have been told that the district has no way to identify the students. Apparently the tests that are currently used for GT identification have too low of a ceiling to identify HG/PG kids.

A licensed psychologist from our school district's Highly Gifted program administered the SB test; they went to my son's school last year when he was in Kinder for the pre-screen and went back again this year for the full testing. They've been really good communication-wise, and Trinity is right about how it looks like they really have their act together.

I'm still keeping very close tabs on my son, I know he enjoys the GATE classes and chess club at school on Fridays, but he still gets "yellows" and sometimes even "red" in class because he really has a tendency to just yell out answers, and his teacher has a bit of hard time getting him to finish some of his work (coloring, writing assignments in class).

Despite several different approach, it will still take my son forever to finish something, and how can he be graded on unfinished work? We figure it's because some of the tasks that don't have problem solving involved don't motivate him enough; he's the same at home when he brings home homework - he'd do the math ones first but leaves off the coloring and tracing/writing the spelling words to the very end to the point it'll take him forever to complete the assignment.

Also, does anyone else have this problem where (this is per the teacher's report when we all met together) your child takes on a sort of "leadership role" in class and basically gets other kids to do stuff for him? It seems that sometimes my son would have a few students from the class do stuff for him like coloring, cutting stuff out. I don't think my son is bossy, but I've noticed he sometimes take on the helpless act when it comes to the mundane work, and when I ask him if he had someone do work for him, he answers "Well, he asked if he could help, so I said yes".

How can I motivate him to get even the mundane tasks finished (such as writing sentences down not just make them up in his head, tracing, etc)? To finish all the work and not just pick out the ones that he likes (math, problem solving)?

Any tips?