I have two kids who skipped grades, and their experiences were mixed.

The better academic fit was obvious.

When their non-skipped peers were 11-ish, those kids started talking about "things I don't understand." Mine knew they were too young to understand that kind of talk, and it made them uncomfortable for a variety of reasons.

There were also problems with hating when people knew they were grade skipped because it made them stand out in a way they didn't like.

If I had to do it over, I'd consider the skips much more skeptically.

IMO, the positive aspects of grade skips are pushed too enthusiastically on this board, which can create a bias. When my kids were younger, I remember parents here laughing at clueless teachers saying, "Oh, but your child won't be able to get a driver's license when her friends get one" and "when other teenagers are dating, your child will feel left out." Yeah, well, stuff like that came true. It's easy to dismiss these concerns when the child is only 5, but time passes and suddenly that kid is prepubescent in an environment where everyone is moving through adolescence.

It's possible to undo a skip, but that process doesn't come without pain.

I have friends who were skipped 2-3 years, and for them, high school was a horror of basically being a kid among older adolescents who could drive and have a job. One grade skip doesn't really have that effect unless your child has a birthday near the deadline and would be the youngest in his age-grade class. This is the case for one of mine, and it's a lot like two skips. There is honestly a lot to be said about going through the physical and emotional changes of adolescence with people who are going through it at the same time.

As tenth graders, two of my kids enrolled in a dual enrollment program at a local community college. These programs are wonderful in general, and for very bright kids, they offer an opportunity to go to high school classes with age peers during part of the day, and college classes otherwise. It's not seen as odd because everyone is doing it. These programs offer a huge advantage of being free college. My eldest got a free AS --- no tuition, no fees, free books, and even a free bus pass (all the students at the college get one).

The problem with being a parent is that we're going to make big mistakes. There's really no way around that, because we have no knowledge about how our kids will respond to whatever worked for us or didn't work. We have no knowledge about how the five-year-old who's enthusiastic about something with long-term consequences will feel in ten years. So my best advice to you is to think very, very carefully about this decision. Try to think about everything that will be different for your child if you go ahead and what's good and bad about that. Consider his personality, his maturity, 7th grade, 11th grade, his relationships with other kids --- everything you can think of.