Hi, I agree with Chris that it isn’t really possible to definitively answer your main question just from the details of your post but I’d like to add a few comments about some of the things you wrote.

I think it’s important to value the substance rather than the idea of achievement. You’ve managed to acquire knowledge, skills and wisdom to become class salutatorian, which you can now use towards your new goals, instead of wasting your time on regrets about missing out on a past program. You can take pride in what you’ve achieved by yourself. My DH missed out on similar opportunities in his youth but is far more successful today than many who received such benefits, in many ways because of (rather than in spite of) the disadvantages he faced which increased his self reliance & determination. Our kids have even declined such opportunities because they realise from their father’s experience that it is possible to succeed through their own dedication, hard work, organisation & discipline.

It’s certainly a very worthwhile aspiration to be a Putnam fellow but given the level of this challenge and the calibre of contenders, it would no doubt require a strong math foundation and some serious study preparation. I imagine it’s a prize that one would only aim for if one were already a serious maths scholar, rather than a title that one would specifically seek, just for the sake of it.

I know it probably sounds cliche’d, but I encourage you to think about what you really want to do with your life and strive with discipline to make that happen. In my experience, the self satisfaction from productive work which is worthwhile & enjoyable, far outweigh any external validation or acknowledgement.

Last edited by Eagle Mum; 07/03/20 08:15 AM.