Just following up on this post. Reflecting on the course of our current term (we are in week 7), we had changed approaches to math this term, and increased our focus on math, which first lead to me to be quite concerned and make this post. As time has passed I continue to feel like there are some weird issues and I wish I knew how to have that assessed, but I am seeing some interesting progression.

A month ago I reported needing to write down the sequence of every times table table sequence every time it was needed (even moments later), despite having recently been rock solid with times tables in and out of order. Now we have a much faster realisation that times tables facts are needed, followed by verbally reciting in order until the multiple that is needed has been reached, and with increasing confidence and speed. This is hardly gifted math, but it seems like it's possibly the path to this child finding a way that works for them. It seems like it has the potential to become internalised / non verbal.

I am still seeing random incidents of fairly marked completely forgetting steps, or how do a simple procedure. For example we might see a task completed as addition instead of multiplying despite reading the operand aloud correctly, mixing up the procedures of addition and multiplication (so rather than accidentally making the wrong operation but correctly, they might attempt to do the correct operation but randomly make steps that are for a different operation), or missing steps from a basically correct procedure... Also incredibly delayed answers on single digit addition, multiplying by 0, multiplying by 1 all of which they understand but need to think very hard about (only some of the time). Maybe it is a working memory issue, I am not sure what is going on.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 06/02/20 07:01 PM.