Pinewood we are pretty well versed with Autism in our family, having more than one person on the spectrum, and very well versed with masking, having had to go to great lengths to clarify one of those diagnoses.

From my reading about PDA, which is far more extensive than just the article I linked to, it does seem that there is some argument about whether part of ASD is where this really fits. I didn't say much in my initial post, but PDA doesn't really gel with ASD for me... This seems much more logically to be a very specific expression of anxiety, which may or may not co-occur with ASD.

The person I am thinking of really doesn't fit ASD, and the question has been asked more than once. Nor does any current diagnosis, or other ideas that have been explored, fit this part of their profile... They do have Demand Avoidance in SPADES, though not with violence. Possibly the absence of violence is because most of the recommended strategies are how we already parent. One of the two people I mention bringing this to my attention had been given a flier for teachers with strategies for teachers on how to speak to a child with PDA and my first response was "How bizarre to recommend those things as strategies, that's just how we communicate in general (or try to)."

Last edited by MumOfThree; 05/31/20 02:11 AM.