Originally Posted by polarbear
Is your ds going to high school next year? Will he have a re-eval or meeting to write his 504 plan going into high school? If so, I'd bring your questions to that meeting and ask what the school's experience has been, do they anticipate he'll receive accommodations or not.

Hi Polarbear! Yes, He is entering high school in September. Yes, he was in the middle of his reevaluation when schools shut down but we have an abbreviated reeval report and will do additional reevaluation when schools open in the fall. I talked to the school psychologist today about her reevaluation (this is the middle school psych not the high school) and about my concerns that his writing disability be clearly and directly documented in his IEP in preparation for accommodatiosn in AP classes and colege testing. She understood my concern and she did revise it to make sure the dysgraphia and writing disability is very clearly documented in her report. I did not read your advice before I talked with her but I will meet with her and the team virtually April 22nd so at that time I will inquire about what the school's experience has been re accommodations and if they anticipate he'll receive his accommodations or not. Unfortunately, I am actually just about to take the school district to due process regarding my younger son and the new Sped Dir and I really do NOT get along - at all. I am almost afraid to bring it up in front her in case she decides to somehow retaliate against me for advocating for my younger son by hurting older DS's chances of getting accommodations. eek

ETA - by the way, unless CTY cancels it second summer session (they did cancel their first session), DS will going again this year. You really helped a lot in helping us both feel comfortable about his doing it a few years ago. I think of you every year when he considers signing up again. He does not really go for the "rigor" (tends to look for 'easy' classes or ones that his friends are doing) but I think the social aspect and being is really good for him! So, thanks!

Last edited by Irena; 04/13/20 05:52 PM.