Welcome!

You may find information such as the NWEA guidance on placement useful. For example:
https://community.nwea.org/docs/DOC-1486

which lists the recommended minimum scores on the 6+ test from 2016 for placement into high school math courses. She may or may not have been tested on the 6+ test (or its 2019/20 equivalent) (given placement in grade 5, it may have been the 2-5 test, but given placement in a grade 5/6 math class, it may also have been the higher-level test). Certainly, it would be reasonable to ask the district to assess her on the appropriate MAP math test for objective decision-making on math placement.

With regard to preparation for algebra, if the school has a robust placement system, then that should address the appropriateness of her placement. In the school where I am employed, the observation has been that the students who struggle the most with algebra I are those who are not solid on their arithmetic, not really on prealgebra skills (which will be reviewed in the first month of algebra). E.g., skills with fractions, decimals, and arithmetic computations with negative numbers. Also, FWIW, some of us skipped over prealgebra into algebra (one of my children), and some others of us skipped over algebra I into algebra II (myself). So it is certainly possible to be successful in algebra I without a prealgebra course.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...